Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The journey begins!

Tuesday, August 17, 2010.  NY Time: 4:23 PM (Paris Time: 10:23 PM)

I’m sitting at terminal 4, Gate A2 at JFK airport.    I just got off the phone with Mom and Aunt Karen.  I got a lovely text from my dad, and now I’m on the phone with Mike.  I’m overwhelmed with the outpouring of love and support that has come from my friends and family yesterday and today.  I have gotten calls, emails, and text messages from everyone wishing me luck and “a safe trip,” and telling me to “have fun,” and “get the full Paris experience.”  The overwhelming sentiment is one of excitement and assurance that I’m going have a wonderful time. 

The nice lady from Aer Lingus helped me immensely.  Both my suitcases were over the weight limit, which would have cost me $100 in addition to the $50 to bring a second bag.  Just craziness.  She gave me a bag and told me that I could remove heavy items from each of the bags to get them down below the weight limit (50lbs.).  It saved me a good chunk of money, and it surely set the start of the trip on the right foot.

It totally hasn’t hit me yet that I am about to board this plane and head to Paris.  I am GOING to PARIS.  For six weeks.  And I’m leaving right now.  Within the next hour, I will be in the air on my way to PARIS.  Even as I sit here, I am attempting to tell myself that this is real, and it just isn’t registering. 

I’m a little nervous (not a lot), very tired, and obviously somewhat in denial that this is actually about to transpire.  I’m looking forward to getting over there and seeing PARIS again.  That will make it concrete.  To say the least!  I know this whole experience is going to do me a world of good both personally and professionally.
xo, aKiP

No comments:

Post a Comment