Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Ready, set, READ.

One of my resolutions in 2011 is to read more books.


What motivated me to read more?  Well, a few things.  
1) I have time to read here, and I can MAKE time to read here.  Especially while traveling on the metro or various other trains I'm exposed to.
2) Books in English are expensive here.  I think I'd taken literature written in English for granted until I moved to a foreign country.  So, when I returned in December, I did so with three books that were interesting to me.  Here I am on January 5, having already finished 2 of them and about to start the third.  (I've asked for more to come over from the United States in the luggage of those coming for a visit!)
3) The girls.  The girls I live with are 11 and 8 and they are VORACIOUS readers.  The oldest can tear through a book in one evening.  It's highly impressive and quite good motivation.
4) Reading is good for you, and I have not done enough of it in my life.


One of the two books I read, Sarah's Key, by Tatiana deRosnay, I've mentioned on my blog already.  I enjoyed it, and I'd give it a 6 out of 10.  The story was a page-turner, and I read it quickly (unusual for me...I am a notoriously slow reader), but I found once I'd turned all the pages that I thought..."eh."


Speaking of EH.  The second book I read, while in Val d'Isère over the holidays, was The Art of Racing in the Rain, by Garth Stein.  The book was told from the perspective of the dog, Enzo.  Having adored every word of John Grogan's masterpiece, Marley & Me, I had great expectations before reading this book.  Especially since the back cover features a quote from Entertainment Weekly, "Fans of Marley & Me, rejoice."  Well, I was NOT rejoicing.  Not while reading it and not even after the "loose-ends-conveniently-tied-up-happy-ever-after-ending."  It was entirely and unnecessarily depressing.  And Enzo, the narrating dog, who was near the end of his days and looked forward to being reincarnated to come back as a human, needed his mouth washed out with soap.  Who needs to hear a dog curse?!  It went from bad to worse to over-the-top depressing, and then just flat out unrealistic.  Not recommended.  


As I find with most of life...we can even learn from less-than-positive experiences.  And, there were a few beautiful things to be taken away from this book.  


I enjoyed these quotes, spoken by Enzo, in The Art of Racing in the Rain.  


PAGE 160:  "To live every day as if it had been stolen from death, that is how I would like to live.  To feel the joy of life, as Eve felt the joy of life.  To separate oneself from the burden, the angst, the anguish that we all encounter every day.  To say that I am alive, I am wonderful, I am.  I am.  That is something to aspire to.  When I am a person, that is how I will live my life."


PAGE 188:  "I felt strangely anxious that day, in a very human way.  People are always worried about what's happening next.  They often find it difficult to stand still, occupy the now without worrying about the future.  People are generally not satisfied with what they have; they are concerned with what they are going to have." 


I think there are lessons in these two excerpts that I can apply directly to my life, and my goals/resolutions for 2011.  And I am thankful to Garth Stein and his furry character, Enzo, for these lessons.
  • Recognize the blessings in being alive.
  • Feel that I'm wonderful.
  • Know that I am.
  • Stillness.  
  • Occupy the now.
Most times, good things come out of experiences good, bad, or mediocre...even in the Rain.


xo,
aKiP

No comments:

Post a Comment