Sunday, October 31, 2010

St. Malo

I was given a day off on Saturday.  Friday night, Clement suggested that spend my day off in St. Malo, and even offered to drop me off there in the late morning.  I thought it would be nice to get a pedicure in Dinard.  Laure told me about a place that does a great spa pedicure for an hour and 15 minutes for only 24 Euros (about $33.00).  The cheapest pedicures you can find in Paris are 30 Euros, and they only last thirty minutes.  So, my plan was to do that and then make my way (possibly by bus, even) to St. Malo.  Laure and I talked about it, and in the end, she booked me an appointment for Tuesday morning at 11:40, and I was dropped off in St. Malo.  


Thank goodness I didn't waste any time in the spa on Saturday.  I had such a great time shopping, eating and sight-seeing in St. Malo.  It's just magnificent there.  It's a walled city that was built in the middle ages. It's just stunning.  







Things here in Bretagne are much less expensive than they are in Paris.  That caused me to spend 98 Euros there!!!  I bought some food to bring home with me, some postcards, and some gifts.  I got one gift that I had been price-comparing all over Paris, and found it the cheapest here.  So awesome.  


I had lunch at a creperie.  I had moules-frites (muscles and french fries), cider (alcohol--cold), a crepe with caramelized apples, caramel, and vanilla ice cream.  So amazing.  I read that St. Malo has one of the highest concentrations of seafood restaurants in all of Europe.  



On Sunday, October 31 (Halloween...but it's not celebrated here in France AT ALL), there's a huge boat race that leaves from St. Malo.  So on Saturday, in anticipation of the race, there was an amazing festival atmosphere in St. Malo.  There were loads of people everywhere, and several entertainers (singers and dancers), and of course, boats, boats and more boats!






Off to bed. 
xo,
aKiP

No comments:

Post a Comment